So, like millions of others, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on the latest Harry Potter book. So I’ve taken the steps below to try to get the best possible deal.
1. Pre-order book from Amazon.com with best price and Saturday delivery guarantee with no sales tax. Price comes to $21. Enjoy add-on $5 off an Amazon.com coupon for later use as a bonus.
2. Drive around the nearby Barnes & Noble and Borders, enjoying the crowds and lines while trying to ignore the idle speculation.
3. Swing by the local A&P to pick up a copy at 12:50 am to get a jump start on reading while waiting for the Amazon.com delivery the next day. Note that cost will be slightly higher than Amazon.com.
4. Return one of the books to A&P after you’ve finished reading and received the Amazon.com copy.
5. Use $5 off coupon on Amazon.com
Total cost: ~$16, the opportunity to label those in lines at the bookstores Chumps & Chumpettes, and a few hours of missing sleep on a Friday night.